Sunday, January 30, 2011

Comm 1 paper #1

I love writing. I have always written, whether it has been in classes or just on my own. Writing to me is an escape from daily activities, such as work stresses, children or family in general. I am also an avid reader. I am trying to expand my genres to expand my writing abilities. Though I am a published poetry writer, I feel I lack focus and confidence, perhaps fear rejection too much to become an accomplished and published novelist and communicator.

I feel I need to be more focused and grounded when I write. I can get lost in my expressions when writing, but I can also effectively get my point across. I had to remember that my emotions where not necessary when I wrote a research paper last term on a book called Aphrodite’s Island. It was hard for me to not focus on the unjustly acts of the early European’s and their lack of morality. I would like to be able to take what I learn in this class and use it to finish writing the book I have been trying to complete (along with its sequels) for way too long.

I am a firm believer in practice makes perfect. I just lack confidence in myself as an accomplished writer. I am more of a creative writer. I usually have a basic idea of what I want to write, and then allow the flow of the story, essay, or characters take me along for the ride. Like riding an inter-tube down a lazy river, you are the passenger and the inter-tube is the vessel, you may or may not guide the inter-tube as you please down the river. I am usually harder on myself and rarely allow other people to read my work. (This is not good for any self-respecting author to do if they want to be published.) I do have poetry published on various websites, such as Poetry.com, Writers.com, and Helium.com; I also have a blog (that I don’t use often). I have had offers to join schools that work with writers, to become better trained writers and get good writing jobs. I just don’t have the money to go to any such school.

For me to achieve anything in this Communications class is a stepping stone across the river I am drifting down. I want to learn about myself as a writer and a communicator. I am scared but must face my fear of rejection, the same thing all writers’ face. I am willing to learn about my writing and hopefully what I do learn here will teach me to become a better writer.

No comments: