Monday, June 23, 2008

Living It

In this world of uncertain times we wonder if all the work we perform in marriage is worth it. I pray for my husbands’ salvation, for him to come to know Christ as intimately as I do.

There are days that I feel as though I am peddling on a conveyor belt the wrong way. When words spoken cut deeper than a double-edge sword, my heart bleeds with pain piercing so deep only our Lord would be able to heal.

I wrote Broken Yoke and Broken Yoke II on helium.com/hannahreinert, some people said, “Don’t put yourself in that situation.” I was mortified to hear people saying how not to put yourselves in those situation but no one said anything about living that life. I know for a fact when I got married I was not walking with Christ, but I married my husband and came to Christ later. My pastor had talked about not marrying an unbeliever but no one, not one person I have found has said anything about living that life.

When I was young in marriage I followed the advice of sisters-in-Christ and left my husband. I traveled on a Greyhound bus with an 18-month old child for three days to Arizona. I went home to Mom. I learned during that time away to forgive myself for my own mistakes, in marriage, in life, and in Christ. I was looking at marriage all wrong and Christ showed me that. I was to see my husband for what I saw in him when I married him. I asked him to change while I stayed a baby Christian. I asked God for forgiveness but not my husband. Years later that one instance blew up in my face and I begged forgiveness from my husband. It has taken a long time and he does not easily forget, but we have moved on.

There have been other things, bills and stuff, it has not been an easy ten years, but the Lord has blessed our house in ways my husband will never ever begin to see. It pains me, because at times when we needed just milk, it was provided late at night. The Lord does bless us.

The Lord once brought me to Proverbs 31:10-31 (NKJV). I love the New King James Version; the words used are so rich with God’s love of what He really expects from us. I seek daily to become this woman. In this scripture Jesus showed me the way to my husband’s soul. Verse 30, “Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.” This verse speaks volumes into my life as a wife and mother. It does not matter what the world says about our marriage or child-rearing, it is only the Lord that matters. All our labor and toil are grasping of the wind, Solomon told us this in Ecclesiastes. We ought to look to the Lord at all times.

Take time to go through Proverbs 31. There is a study by Elizabeth George called Discovering the Treasures of a Godly Woman. It is well worth the 15 minutes a day you’ll spend. Then keep going back to Proverbs 31 and ask the Lord how you are doing to become this woman He would like to see you become.

First and foremost, get yourself right with the Lord. Seek His wisdom and guidance daily, become this Proverbs 31 woman, pray, pray and keep praying. The Lord will bless your home and your family – even if your husband does not see it, you will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting a link to Helium on your blog! We appreciate your contributions to the site and hope that you continue to utilize it in your future writing endeavors.
Jessica, Team Helium

Anonymous said...

Marriage is between two people who connect. God connects; we do not. God connected to you Dave. Why don't you thank Him for his gift? Your photo does not have Dave in it. Are you not thankful for what God has given you? Your daughter is really precious. Can you not see just how parcious is the Gift of Dave to you from God? One who never truly thanked and lost.